Over thinking decreases dopamine impacting our ability to think clearly, it activates our Reticular Activating System to look for the negatives.
You can’t be happy and envious at the same time. The happier you are, the less you will compare yourself to others.
Ways to shake of rumination and comparison:
1. Disctract yourself with activities that make you feel happy, curious, peaceful, amused or proud
2. STOP! Just tell yourself to stop and change your thinking
3. Set aside ‘rumination time’, 30 minutes at the end of the day. Chances are when you come to it, the things you wanted to think about will seem less important
4. Write them down, make sense of them and move on from them
5. Seek out help from others
6. Chunk it down into small steps
7. Identify and manage your triggers
Over thinking hosts numerous adverse consequences, finish the day and be done with it, there’s another one just around the corner.